Saturday, July 07, 2007

Shirley Temple Portrait series (Part I "The Littlest Grand Marshal")


I have always had a fascination with Shirley Temple. Whenever I would go over to my grandparent's house when I was younger, I would always watch at least one of the many Shirley Temple movies my grandma had in her collection. I believe my favorite Shirley Temple movie is "Little Miss Marker", which is about how Shirley melts the hearts of a gang of hardened gamblers when she is left as an IOU or "marker" for debt. It is very comical and Shirley was as cute as ever.

A few years ago, my grandma got me a porcelain doll of Shirley Temple. The doll was fashioned after a portrait of Shirley when she was appointed as Grand Marshal of the 50th annual Rose Parade in 1939. I loved (and still love) the doll so much and I drew a small portrait of it in my journal (Above picture).

Knowing that I had such a fascination with Shirley Temple, my grandma later sent me many brochures of Shirley Temple porcelain dolls by the "Danbury Mint". Each brochure featured an absolutely adorable and incredibly life-like porcelain doll of Shirley. These portraits inspired me to capture what the doll artists had captured in the form of drawn portraits. So far I have drawn four portraits (including the above picture), and I have taken pleasure in drawing and capturing every detail in each one. My other later drawings are much, much better than the first one I drew (above), so please don't think I'm just blabbering on about nothing. ;)

I will consecutively post more of my portraits over the next upcoming days. Stay Tuned!


Read: Part I, Part II, Part III, Part IV

No comments: